The Boy

The Boy

Friday, March 30, 2012

Casseroles

Sometimes I get so excited about trying new things for the boy, that I forget that there are some important “rules” to keep in mind. 
Enter the Hot Dog Cornbread casserole.  The boy LOVES his vegetarian hot dogs.  And the boy really likes cornbread.  The boy will eat actual corn if it is attached to the ear and grilled to perfection (as only my husband can do).  So, when I came across a recipe that included all of these items and a few seasoning ingredients, I thought to myself what a great idea!  Here is where the rule comes into play….the boy does NOT like his food mixed together.  He would have eaten all those items without complaint (except for the corn…I would have had to pull the “mommy card” on that one) had I just prepared them and put them on his plate.  Instead, he stared at the plate for a really long time.  I “encouraged” him to take a bite. I told him of all the yummy goodness that was in that portion on his plate.  He ate his bite.  He was NOT thrilled.  There was not yummy goodness on that plate according to him.  It was food….all mixed together and he was not happy about it.  He did eat what was required of him, but as soon as he completed the number of bites required, he was done. 
So, now as I browse books to find different and nutritious foods for the boy to try, I am going to have to keep in mind that they cannot be in casserole form.  *sigh*  Life with a picky eater can be tough!

No comments: