The Boy

The Boy

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hidden Sugar

I came across this article yesterday written by Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD for WebMD.  The article can be found here.  I have to admit that while I have known that there are some foods that have sweetness to them, that there can be a LOT of added sugar added to things to appeal to our need for a sweet taste.  It can be so deceiving on how much sugar is added. 
I took a popular brand of cereal that has an excellent reputation for their healthiness factor.  This particular brand has a regular flavor and ten other flavors including a multigrain version and several other tasty versions.  All over the front of these cereal boxes it is stated that these cereals contain whole grains and are approved by the American Heart Association.  However, in order for these cereals to all appear to be the same in calories the serving size is changed.  Out of the eleven varieties that are available, only 2 are a serving size of a full cup.  The other nine are a serving size of ¾ cup.  The regular flavor and the multigrain flavor have the lowest amount of sugar in that they have 1 gram and 6 grams of sugar respectively.  However, the multigrain version has added sugar and brown sugar syrup.  There is one of the varieties that have 5 different forms of sugar added to it including brown sugar, sugar, corn syrup, brown sugar syrup and dried corn syrup.  That’s a lot of sugar, folks.  And this is the healthier choice in the cereal aisle.  I didn’t even begin to look up what the “sugar-coated” cereals have going for them. 
What can I do about it?  The first thing I have started doing is making my son aware of what he is eating.  We read the white box on the product.  My husband and I have taught him to look at serving size, calories and fat content.  Now, in our teaching process, we are teaching him to look at the sugar amount contained in the product.  I am not saying that I am going to cut out all sugar from my son’s diet, I am just making him aware of what is going into his mouth and body.  And what do they say about knowledge?  KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!  

2 comments:

York said...

If only all Mothers will take the time to understand what they are actually serving to their families. Kudos to you to not only be informed yourself but a BIG also to teach your son this important lesson. Good health begins at home. Good nutritious food is the fuel for optimal performance, says this Asian Mom!

Unknown said...

I am so proud of both Debra for taking this on and Jackson for listening!