The Boy

The Boy

Friday, March 2, 2012

Cauliflower!

When I first started talking to other moms on how they got their kids to eat vegetables, one of the mothers told me to puree the vegetable and put it in regular food.  I thought that there was NO WAY this would ever work.  I had tried hiding veggies in the boy’s food before, and he has always found it.  I had never considered pureeing it and adding it.  So, tonight was the big test night.  Could I get him to eat cauliflower? 
I took some store made (we have an organic food store here that also makes food) macaroni and cheese.  I took some frozen cauliflower and cooked it.  I pureed the cauliflower until almost smooth.  I would have done it more, but the boy was just in the next room and I didn’t want him to come in and find out what I was doing.  It could have been a disaster because there were tiny (kosher salt sized) bits of cauliflower in the mac and cheese that I could see and the boy has the amazing ability to find even the tiniest bits in anything.  I mixed a little more than a ½ cup of cauliflower into the 2 cups of mac and cheese.  We sat down to dinner.  The boy scooped up a bite and “mmmmm” were his words.  I held my breath.  The boy scooped up another bite.  He then proceeded to eat the whole serving.  There was some mac and cheese left over and I asked him if he would like me to pack it in his thermos tomorrow so that he can take it to school in his lunch.  He said…..”SURE!” 
HE ATE IT!  He ate the cauliflower and never suspected a thing.  I am so very excited as to what other veggies I can do this with and serve incognito.  This is definitely a way to get him to eat this.  I will try with other veggies.  AND so that he doesn’t suspect anything, I will also keep serving an additional veggie with dinner.  At least I will know that he will be getting one serving.  YAY for little victories!

No comments: