The Boy

The Boy

Monday, March 26, 2012

Popcorn Shrimp

When a picky eater is involved, and THEY are the one who suggests a new food, certain celebrations are bound to follow.  Take my picky eater….he saw a box of popcorn shrimp.  The name implies fun food.  He has had shrimp before and wants to like it, so he asked if we could get it.  Hey….if the kid wants to try a new food … I am all for it (within reason). 

So, tonight I made some sweet potato chips (baked in the oven with a little olive oil, garlic and a pinch of salt) and cut up a red bell pepper (the boy likes those over the other colors of bell peppers) and made the popcorn shrimp.  He was excited.  He tried one.  Then, he tried one with some barbeque sauce (the boy’s version of ketchup).  He tried one more.  Three popcorn shrimps went into the boy.  He then looked at me and told me, “They don’t taste like I thought that they would.”  Guess what?  That’s OK.  He doesn’t have to like every food.  He just has to be willing to try it.  He was.  He gave them a fair chance.  And I think in the future he will try them again.  I focused on the fact that he tried the food, gave it a fair shake and then admitted that it just wasn’t his thing for the moment.  Who knows what he might try next time.  

No comments: