The Boy

The Boy

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Friday night = Pizza Night!

Friday night, when I was growing up, meant pizza night.  We didn’t have pizza every Friday night, but we did for most of them.  Fast forward to now, we rarely have pizza let alone eat pizza on a Friday night.  Jack LOVES pizza (at least he does now…he didn’t start liking it until he was 6 or 7) and he loves meat on his pizza.  You know the kind of meat….pepperoni, sausage, hamburger.  On my pizza….I like veggies.  Lots of veggies.  I like green peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, and broccoli (don’t judge).  I even love sliced tomatoes on it.  Dave likes it all on his pizza, the meat and the veggies.  If we were to order out a pizza, we would have to either order 3 different pizzas or a gigantic one just to appease everyone’s tastes.  We found a way around all of that.  We make them at home.  They turn out just the way we want them and everyone is happy.  We each make a personal sized pizza and everyone puts their own toppings on.  So, what could I do to make them better?  I will tell you.  Instead of making white flour dough, I made the dough with wheat flour.  The dough was kind of dry and I think I will need to experiment with it a bit more the next time.  What was the biggest change I made for the boy and my husband?  I used tofu sausage. This idea was given to me by my friend, Beki C.  She suggested that I slice the sausage and brown it in the skillet with some peppers and onions.  I did and it came out tasting just like sausage.  The boy LOVED it!  (Thanks Beki!)  Does cooking with tofu mean that I am trying to get the boy to become a vegetarian?  Nope, but I like knowing that there are choices out there for my son to try.  Did we tell him it was tofu?  Nope.  We decided to let him eat it a few more times to really fall in love with the taste and then let him know what he has been eating all along.  

No comments: