The Boy

The Boy

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes!

One of things that the boy and I like to do when my husband is away is have breakfast for dinner.  So, since my husband is off playing golf this week with the oldest son, the boy and I decided that last night was breakfast night!  While reading a new cookbook (I think it has been on the shelves since 2011) called “No Whine with Dinner” written by Liz Weiss (MS, RD) and Janice Newell Bissex (MS, RD), I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes.  Actually, the real name of the recipe is called Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes, but the boy doesn’t like chocolate chips…so we skipped them. 
These pancakes were very good.  These women have a website called Meal Makeover Moms.  Here is the recipe for the pancakes.  (If you click on the word “recipe” it will take you right to their website.) I did make a few changes.  We only have skim milk in our house, so I substituted that.  And of course, the boy doesn’t like chocolate chips (believe me, he WANTS to like them but he just doesn’t) so we left them out.  The boy also doesn’t like butter on his pancakes, only peanut butter.  I was worried about combining the two tastes.  However, the pancakes don’t have a strong pumpkin taste, so it worked out great.  The batter was also a little thicker than we like our pancake batter to be so a little splash of milk took care of that.  These really taste good.  They also don’t leave you with that “I just ate a heavy meal and now I need to go lie down and take a nap” feeling that pancakes can sometimes do to you.  I eat my pancakes with a little of fruit preserves while the boy likes his with … peanut butter and syrup.  I added a piece of turkey bacon, some orange juice and voila!  We had our breakfast for dinner.  Delicious!
And the boy’s rating for these pancakes?  He gave it two thumbs up!  He probably would have said more, but he was too busy eating.

1 comment:

Jannabis Wellness said...

We're delighted that you both liked our pumpkin pancakes! Next you should try our peanut butter pancakes - two different varieties featured on our blog last month. http://mealmakeovermoms.com/kitchen/2012/01/21/recipes-for-strawberry-topped-peanut-butter-pancakes-and-peanut-butter-banana-pancakes-and-a-giveaway-for-an-anolon-griddle/
Let us know what you think!