The Boy

The Boy

Monday, February 13, 2012

Skillet Chicken Paprika

Tonight I tried a new recipe because it has components that I know Jack will like.  He likes red bell peppers and he likes chicken.  So.....




1 lb of skinless, boneless chicken thighs (cut into small cubes…about an inch)
½ teaspoon of salt
1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil
I large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 T paprika (the recipe called for Hungarian paprika…if you got it, use it…otherwise, the   normal stuff worked for us!)
2 T flour
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup of reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 3…but we like our garlic!)
2 teaspoons of caraway seeds
3 T of light sour cream (I substituted greek yogurt)




Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and put it in a large skillet with 1 teaspoon of the oil.  Cook until brown and cooked all the way through.  Take it out of the pan and put it in a bowl (or whatever you have handy).  Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and cook the onions and peppers until soft (about 5 minutes).  Sprinkle with the paprika and flour and stir constantly.  You want the flour to absorb all the juices in the pan at this point.  After a minute has passed, add the tomatoes with their juice, the chicken broth, garlic and caraway seeds.  (I would use about ½ of the caraway seeds…it has a very strong flavor)  Stir the mixture until thick and bubbly.  Add the cooked chicken and cook over medium heat until it is all hot.  Remove from heat and then stir in the sour cream (again, we used greek yogurt as I tend to substitute greek yogurt for sour cream in all my recipes and it tastes great).
The recipe says to serve over egg noodles.  However, we (and when I say “we” I mean Jack) don’t care very much for the egg noodles.  So, I tried it over brown rice. 
I must say it was delicious.  I was able (because I told him that he had to) get Jack to eat the chicken.  And he did eat a piece of the red bell pepper.  However, when I asked him to try the rice that was underneath it all, I got that “face.”  You know the one….where it looks like they may have taken their last breath and you forced them to eat something hideous.  When I asked him if he liked it, he responded by saying it wasn’t his favorite.  When I asked him if he would try it again if I made some changes (like strained the onions out before the mixture hits his plate), he stated maybe.  So, while it was a big hit with the adults in the house….not so much for the kid.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I did like it, but agree that the caraway was a bit overpowering. Definitely a reduction is in order. Jack was not impressed. He thought it was punishment. ;-)